What is SmartPass?
Vodafone SmartPass lets you pay for anything under £30 with your smartphone. There's no need to rummage around for cash or cards. We've teamed up with Visa to make it one of the most secure ways to pay. Simply tap your phone anywhere you see the contactless symbol and away you go. You can also use the app to check your balance on the go or instantly add more cash.
Why get Vodafone SmartPass?
- Make secure payments using your phone’s contactless SIM, anywhere you see the Visa and contactless symbols. Pick up your contactless SIM from your nearest store today.
- Instantly add funds or top up your account on the go with a debit or credit card – no need to find an ATM.
- Auto-top up lets you automatically top up your account when it falls below your specified low balance.
- Quickly and securely transfer money to other SmartPass users.
- Even when your phone battery is flat, you can still make secure contactless payments.
Read the full Vodafone SmartPass terms and conditions
Watch the video
How does it work?
Check your balance or instantly add funds on the go so you’re ready for whatever the day throws at you.
How to get started?
First, you'll need a contactless SIM for your phone. Just pop into one of our stores and we’ll quickly set you up ready to enjoy the benefits of secure payments.
Once your new SIM is installed, download Vodafone Wallet from Google Play in order to set-up your SmartPass account.
Vodafone Wallet is an app that lets you store digital versions of your payment, loyalty and travel cards in one place.
Watch our video to find out more.
In addition to SmartPass, you can add your loyalty cards to your Vodafone Wallet to collect rewards and points so you don’t have to carry plastic cards around any more. To do this, download the loyalty cards add-on from Google Play using your Android phone (the link doesn’t work on desktop).
Set up a SmartPass account
Use the Wallet app to set up your SmartPass account.
SmartPass Companion Card
You can use SmartPass even in shops that don’t accept contactless payments, by using a SmartPass Companion Card. We’ll send you your complimentary Companion Card once you’ve set up your SmartPass account. You’ll receive it in the post within five working days.
Activate your Companion Card using the SmartPass app or the Account Management Portal before you use it for the first time.
Check your balance or instantly add cash on the go so you’re ready for whatever the day throws at you.
Order the SmartPass Tag when you’re setting up your SmartPass account. You’ll receive the Tag by post within five working days.
Activate the Tag using the SmartPass app or the Account Management Portal before you use it for the first time. Then top up your SmartPass account through the app.
Tap the Tag anywhere you see the contactless symbol for payments up to £30. If you have a phone cover, pop the Tag on the back of it. That way your phone’s metal casing won’t interfere with the signal from the Tag’s NFC antenna.
SmartPass Companion Card
We’ll send you a complimentary Companion Card with the SmartPass Tag. Activate it using the SmartPass app or the Account Management Portal before you use it for the first time. You can use it anywhere contactless payments aren’t accepted.
SmartPass Account Management Portal
Use the Account Management Portal to activate your SmartPass Tag and Companion Card or anytime you don’t have access to your SmartPass app.
How to use it?
- Look for the contactless symbol
- At the till, when the assistant is ready, tap your phone on the contactless reader to pay for anything under £30
- Wait for the green light to show your payment's been approved
Check out where you can use your SmartPass with Visa’s handy contactless terminal locator. And you can still use SmartPass to make payments even when your battery has run out.
How to top up
In the SmartPass app, simply click the Top Up button to top up manually. Or choose Auto Top Up to make it even easier – this will top up for you when your balance falls below an amount specified by you.
Is it safe?
SmartPass is very secure. Visa contactless payments use the same secure technology as Chip and PIN so you can feel totally confident when you’re using it to pay. There’s a maximum amount of £30 allowed for each transaction, For other limits for transfers, TopUps and yearly spending, see our full terms and conditions
Loss or theft
There are two things you need to do if your phone is lost or stolen:
- Lock your phone using Vodafone Protect
- Report your SmartPass as lost or stolen
If your phone is lost or stolen, log in to Vodafone Protect to lock and wipe your phone. Your SIM will still be active until we put a bar on it, so call us as soon as you can on 03333 040 191 (standard call charges apply).
If you can’t access Vodafone Protect , you can locate your phone by sending a text from a friend’s phone to your phone number saying 'Secure locate' followed by your 6 digit Vodafone Protect PIN number. Your phone will respond to the friend’s phone with a link to a map so you can easily find your phone.
You’ll also need to contact the 24-hour SmartPass lost and stolen helpline by calling 01635 692 198 (standard call charges apply). We’ll lock your SmartPass account immediately and, if required, send you a new SmartPass Companion Card (and a new SmartPass Tag if you’re an iPhone user).
Use SmartPass on Transport for London (TFL)
You can travel throughout the capital with Vodafone SmartPass. Simply tap your phone to pay for journeys on the Tube, tram, DLR, bus, Overground and most national rail services in London.
If you've registered for SmartPass and have the contactless SIM (or Tag, for iPhone users) and app, just check your account is topped up and you’re ready to go. And even if your phone has run out of battery, you can still use SmartPass to pay for your journey.
You can use your Smartpass immediately on TfL, but we recommend you register your SmartPass Tag details with Transport for London
For general questions, check out our FAQs
Watch the video to find out more.
To make sure you're ready to travel, complete the following steps:
- Ensure you're using a contactless SIM that you can collect from any Vodafone Retail store (For iPhone, ensure you've activated your SmartPass Tag). You can do this via the settings menu in the SmartPass app, or by using the SmartPass web portal (vodafonesmartpass.com/log/uk)
- Check the Apple app store or Google Play to ensure you have the latest version of the SmartPass app
- Register your SmartPass account details on the Transport for London contactless support website. You'll need to provide the 16-digit PAN, expiry date and 3-digit CVV code linked with your SmartPass account. You can find these by selecting ‘Card Details’ in the SmartPass app or web portal
- Even though you can use SmartPass to make secure payments via contactless terminals when your battery is flat, we recommend you have enough charge on your phone for the duration of your journey