Choosing a smartphone platform
Choose a smartphone operating system
When you choose a phone, you're also choosing the platform (or operating system) it runs on – such as Android™, BlackBerry®, Apple iOS or Windows Phone. This is the brains behind everything your phone does. And there are real differences between manufacturers.
Best for setting up your phone just how you want it
Android™ is the mobile operating system developed by Google®. It’s used by several manufacturers, so there are lots of Android phones on the market at all price levels.
- Phones to suit every taste and budget – from leading brands like Samsung and HTC
- Choose from hundreds of thousands of free and paid-for apps from Google Play
- Android phones sync easily with Google accounts
Best for secure email and instant messaging
The BlackBerry® platform gives you high-quality email, as well as instant messaging between BlackBerry phones.
- BlackBerry Messenger™ – chat instantly with friends or colleagues who also have a BlackBerry
- Touchscreen or physical QWERTY keypads – making it easier to type texts and emails
- Thousands of apps available from BlackBerry App World™
Best for a seamless app experience
This operating system only runs on iPhone and iPad. There are hundreds of thousands of apps – all available from Apple's App Store.
- Enjoy a huge choice of apps from the Apple App Store
- Video calling to other iPhone and iPad users with FaceTime
- Use your iPhone or iPad as an iPod – by syncing with iTunes
The smartphone reinvented around you
Windows Phone is the only phone with Live Tiles so you can pin your favourite people and apps to your home screen, arranging it just how you want it.
- Only Windows Phone has Live Apps - a delightful innovation that puts the information you want right on your Start screen.
- A worry-free way to share your phone with your kid.
- With SkyDrive, all of your photos, videos and Office documents go where you go.