Dated October 2015
Collecting your personal information
We can obtain your personal information when you:
- buy a product or service from us (including buying products online, over the phone and in a retail store or other retail outlet);
- register for a specific product or service (such as registering your name and address details for a service or setting up an email account with us);
- subscribe to newsletters, alerts or other services from us;
- ask us for more information about a product or service, or contact us with a question or complaint;
- take part in a competition, prize draw or survey;
- use our network and other Vodafone products or services; and/or
- visit or browse our website or other Vodafone Group websites.
We may also collect information about you from other organisations, if this is appropriate. These include fraud-prevention agencies, business directories and credit reference agencies. We may also collect information about you from other companies, our business, or joint venture partners.
Understanding what you want
This, in turn, helps us make our website relevant to your interests and needs. We may use a persistent cookie (a cookie that stays linked to your browser) to record your details so we can recognise you if you visit our website again. See the next section for more details.
The personal information we collect
The information we collect about you depends on the Vodafone products and services you use and subscribe to. It includes (but isn’t limited to) the following:
- your name, address, phone number, date of birth and email address;
- credit or debit card information, information about your bank account number and sort code or other banking and payment information;
- your preferences for particular products, services or lifestyle activities when you tell us what they are – or when we assume what they are, depending on how you use our products and services;
- your contact with us – such as a note or recording of a call you make to one of our contact centres, an email or letter you send to us or other records of any contact you have with us; and
- your account information – such as dates of payment owed and received, the subscription services you use or any other information related to your account.
We’ll also get information on how you and/or anyone in your household or on your premises use our products and services, such as:
- the phone numbers that you call (or the phone numbers that you receive these calls and messages from);
- the date, time and length of the calls and messages you send or receive through our network
- the date, time and volume of data which you use through our network;
- the level of service you receive – for example, network faults and other network events which may affect our network services;
- your website browsing information (which includes information about the websites you visit, and about how you use our website or other Vodafone Group websites );
- the date, time and length of your internet browsing; and
- other information from time to time, for example when you complete a customer satisfaction questionnaire.
Please be aware that we may also get information about how you use our products and services in the form of information provided by our third party suppliers or contractors, such as third parties who provide content as part of our services.
Using your personal information
We may use and analyse your information to:
- carry out a credit check if you’re applying for a contract for services and to assess your application. In the event that you are applying for the Vodafone Broadband and Home Phone Services which you plan to use for business purposes, Vodafone will conduct a credit check against the person applying for that service. The payment history may also be recorded on that person's credit file
- In the event that your account is transferred to a third party, it may be necessary to carry out a credit check against the third party, prior to a transfer of ownership taking place. See more details about our credit-checking process at the following link: http://www.vodafone.co.uk/about-this-site/our-privacy-policy/credit-checking/index.htm
- process the goods and services you’ve bought from us, and keep you updated with your order progress;
- keep you updated with current information about your services;
- keep you informed generally about new products and services (unless you choose not to receive our marketing messages);
- provide the relevant service or product to you. This includes other services not included in your agreement with us and to contact you with messages about changes to the service or product;
- verify your identity for these purposes, For example, if you are supplying information about an authorised user for your account (whether for consumer or business use) please ensure that you provide sufficient information to us to enable verification to take place. If you do not provide sufficient information to us to verify an authorised user, we may refuse to give them access to your account;
- contact you with offers or promotions including our competitions, prize draws and surveys, based on how you use our products and services. These include your calling and messaging activities and browsing information and data (unless you choose not to receive these messages – see Section 2 on ‘Collecting your personal information’ for more details);
- bill you for using our products or services, or to take the appropriate amount of credit from you;
- respond to any questions or concerns you may have about using our network, products or services; and
- let you know about other companies' products and services we think may interest you unless you choose to not receive this information.
- protect our network and manage the volume of calls, and other use of our network. For example, we identify peak periods of use so we can try and ensure the network can handle the volume at those times;
- understand how you use our network, products and services. That way, we can review, develop and improve our current network, products and services; develop more interesting and relevant products and services, as well as personalising the products and services we offer you;
- carry out research and statistical analysis including to monitor how customers use our network, products and services on an anonymous or personal basis; and/or
- prevent and detect fraud or other crimes, recover debts or trace those who owe us money. If you have taken out the Vodafone Broadband and Home Phone Services for business purposes, we may use your personal information to enforce our rights in order to collect payment in relation to those Vodafone Broadband and Home Phone Services. Should the debt remain unpaid, we may enforce our rights against you personally. We'll store your information for as long as we have to by law. If there's no legal requirement, we'll only store it for as long as we need it.
Sharing your personal information
We may share information about you with:
- companies in the Vodafone Group (Vodafone Group Plc and any company or other organisation in which Vodafone Group Plc owns more than 15% of the share capital);
- partners or agents involved in delivering the products and services you’ve ordered or used;
- companies who are engaged to perform services for, on behalf of Vodafone Limited, or the Vodafone Group;
- credit reference, fraud prevention or business scoring agencies, or other credit scoring agencies;
- debt collection agencies or other debt recovery organisations;
- law enforcement agencies, regulatory organisations, courts or other public authorities if we have to, or are authorised to by law; and/or
- emergency services (if you make an emergency call), including your approximate location
We’ll release information if it’s reasonable for the purpose of protecting us against fraud, defending our rights or property, or to protect the interests of our customers.
If we’re reorganised or sold to another organisation, we may transfer any personal information we hold about you to that organisation.
We may need to transfer your information to other group companies or service providers in countries outside the EEA (European Economic Area). This may happen if our servers or suppliers and service providers are based outside the EEA, or if you use our services and products while visiting countries outside this area.
We may also share your information with partner organisations we’ve chosen carefully, so they can contact you about their products and services.
We may collect and combine information in order to:
- monitor your use of our products and services and the usage of our other customers; and
- to help us improve the quality of our products and services.
We may provide this information to third parties but this information never includes any information that can identify an individual customer.
Keeping your personal information secure
We process, store and safeguard your information carefully at all times. We are registered as a data controller with the Information Commissioner and at all times adhere to the Data Protection Act 1998. We constantly review and improve our measures to protect your personal information from unauthorised access, accidental loss, disclosure or destruction.
If we have a contract with another organisation to provide us with services or a service on our behalf to process your personal information, we’ll make sure they have appropriate security measures and only process your information in the way we’ve authorised them to. These organisations won’t be entitled to use your personal information for their own purposes. If necessary, our security teams will check them to make sure they meet the security requirements we’ve set.
Communications over the internet (such as emails) aren’t secure unless they’ve been encrypted. Your communications may go through a number of countries before being delivered – as this is the nature of the internet. We can’t accept responsibility for any unauthorised access or loss of personal information that’s beyond our control.
We will never ask for your Vodafone Broadband secure personal or account information by any unsolicited means of communication. You are responsible for keeping your personal and account information secure and not sharing it with others.
Our website may provide links to third party websites. We cannot be responsible for the security and content of such third party websites.
Your privacy rights
You can write to us at any time to get a copy of the personal information we hold about you. You can do this by filling in this application form which can be found at http://www.vodafone.co.uk/about-this-site/our-privacy-policy/index.htm and sending it to the address on the form.
If you have taken out the Vodafone Broadband and Home Phone Services for business purposes, these provisions may not apply.
There’s a charge of £10 to cover the cost of providing this information. If you believe we’re holding inaccurate information about you, please contact us at 08080 034 515) so we can correct it.
If you no longer want to receive marketing messages from us, please contact our customer services team and you’ll be ‘opted out’. (You can get in touch with customer services at 08080 034 515). Calls are free from landlines and Vodafone mobiles, and charged at your operator’s standard rate from other mobiles.
You can choose to opt out of all marketing communications or to opt out of marketing in one of several ways (such as email, text, phone or post).