Pay monthly airtime conditions (before 24 January 2014)
Pay monthly airtime conditions
I understand and agree to the following.
1. What this agreement covers – This agreement covers the SIM card plus any minutes, texts, data or any other services I use. It doesn’t cover any mobile equipment I use with my SIM card, other than when I need to make a payment for that mobile equipment to you. So if my mobile equipment is lost, damaged or stolen, I’ll still have to pay the line rental for the minimum period. Likewise, if someone finds or steals my mobile equipment and SIM card, I’ll have to pay for any charges they run up until I tell you it’s been lost or stolen.
2. How this agreement is made up –This agreement is made up of the following parts, each of which I must keep to. They are:
a. the monthly price plan, extra services and minimum length of contract I’ve chosen (as shown on this order form or in the welcome letter or welcome email);
b. the price plan charges guide (available from Vodafone stores and vodafone.co.uk);
c. the pay monthly airtime conditions; and
d. if I have decided to take out the insurance shown above, I fully understand and agree to the insurer’s conditions.
3. Length of this agreement – This agreement will start when you connect my SIM card to the price plan shown above and is for an initial minimum period as shown on this order form or in the welcome letter or welcome email. One of the ways that I may end this agreement is by giving you 30 days’ written notice. The other reasons for this agreement coming to an end are shown in clause 11 of the pay monthly airtime conditions.
4. Charges –I agree to pay all line-rental charges, usage charges and any other charges due under this agreement. All of these charges are parts of the price I must pay for the package of services I receive from you. I’ll receive a bill each month for any services that have been used and the line rental. Even if I haven’t used my SIM card at all in that period, I’ll still have to pay the line rental. Charges for using the SIM card abroad may be considerably higher than UK charges and I will be charged for receiving incoming calls if I use my SIM card outside the UK. I am being asked to pay by direct debit. However, if that doesn’t suit me, you may accept payments by other methods, but I’ll be charged an extra fee. I can ask you for more details of all charges. If this agreement ends before the end of the minimum period (whether by me or you), I must still pay all the line rental until the end of the minimum period. This applies when this agreement comes to an end in clause 11, except in the following situations.
- If you end this agreement under clause 11a.
- If I end this agreement under clause 11b.
- If you end this agreement because you are permanently unable to provide the services to me.
In these three situations I do not have to pay all line-rental charges until the end of the minimum period. However, I may have to make a payment for my mobile equipment. You will let me know in this order form or welcome letter or welcome email if I have to make this kind of payment for my mobile equipment and will tell me the original value on which that payment is based. The payment will be 1/24 of the original value of the mobile equipment, less any initial payment I make towards it, multiplied by the number of months left until the end of the minimum period. I will make this payment to you as soon as you ask after the agreement comes to an end.
5. Minimum prices – The minimum price for the services provided under this agreement is the cost of all line-rental charges for the minimum period (plus any one-off initial charges).
6. Other – I am over 18 years of age and I understand that this agreement depends on my financial circumstances. I agree that you may use my personal information as described in clauses 13 and 14. You may also use information about the type of calls I make to analyse the service you provide and for marketing purposes.
Would you prefer this information in large print, on disk, or in Braille? Call our specialist accessibility team on 0333 3043 222 or email email@example.com for information about the accessibility of our products and services.
Pay monthly airtime conditions
1. Terminology explained
We, our or us – Vodafone Limited.
You or your – the customer whose name appears on the order form, welcome letter or welcome email.
Agreement – these conditions, the price plan and the price plan charges guide.
Charges – charges for services, as published in our price plan, price plan charges guide or which we otherwise provide. These include the monthly line-rental charges (billed for the month ahead unless we say otherwise), usage charges (billed after use) and any other charges for the services provided to you or someone using your SIM card (for example, charges for voicemail service and itemised billing).
Minimum period – a period of time shown on your order form, welcome letter or welcome email, which begins when we connect your SIM card to the price plan you have chosen.
Mobile equipment – your mobile phone, laptop or other equipment and the SIM card used to access our services.
Network – the electronic communications systems we use to provide the services in the UK.
Price plan – the package of services you have chosen to receive as shown on the order form, welcome letter or welcome email. We update this every so often.
Price plan charges guide – the terms and ‘out of price plan bundle’ charges for your price plan. Available in our stores and on our website at www.vodafone.co.uk. We update this every so often.
Services – the communications service you receive through the network and other services we may provide to you.
2. Your agreement period
a. We’ll continue to supply you with, and you must pay the charges for, the services until we or you end this agreement in line with clause 11.
b. If this agreement ends before the end of the minimum period (whether by you or us), you must still pay all the line-rental charges until the end of the minimum period. This applies when this agreement comes to an end in clause 11, except if:
- we end this agreement under clause 11a; or
- you end this agreement under clause 11b; or
- we end this agreement because we are permanently unable to provide the services to you.
3. Services and coverage
a. We will try to give you the services when you want them. However, due to the nature of mobile technology, it’s impossible to provide a fault-free service.
b. We will also try to give you access to networks in other countries (what we call ‘roaming’). However, some overseas networks are limited in quality and coverage so any access to overseas networks depends on the arrangements we have with operators in individual countries. It’s worth noting that some of the services you enjoy in the UK may not be available when you’re abroad.
4. Using our services – the rules
a. It’s your responsibility to make sure you keep to this agreement, and you follow our instructions on using our services – even if someone else is using your mobile equipment.
b. You must never use your mobile equipment or our services for anything we would consider is abusive, illegal, fraudulent, or a nuisance. Also you must never use them for any criminal activities.
c. You’re not allowed to sell all or any part of our services to anyone else.
d. We’ve allocated you a phone number on the network. This number does not belong to you and we may charge you a fee if you want to transfer this number to another provider.
e. The SIM card, and the software within it, belongs to us and we license it to you so you can use our services. We may change your SIM card or tell you to return it at the end of this agreement. If you need a replacement SIM card, we will charge you the going rate in our most current price plan charges guide.
f. If you use your mobile equipment to browse the internet, please bear in mind that we accept no responsibility for any content or services you access.
g. You must only use mobile equipment which is approved for connection to our services.
a. You must pay any charges, by direct debit, within seven days of the date on your bill. If you don’t want to pay by direct debit, we may accept other forms of payment, but we will charge you a fee each month. VAT will be charged if it applies.
b. If you owe us any money beyond your due date, and you do not have valid reasons for disputing the payment, we may charge you interest. We charge interest daily at the rate of 2% above the base rate of Barclays Bank each year. We may also charge you reasonable administration costs as a result of you paying your bill late or failing to pay it.
6. Losing your mobile equipment
a. If your SIM card or mobile equipment is lost or stolen, you must tell us as soon as possible so we can stop someone else using it. You’re responsible for all charges up until the time you report it missing to us. You must also continue to pay the line-rental charges for the minimum period.
7. Changing charges and terms
a. We may occasionally change or introduce new charges. If we believe any change in our charges will not disadvantage you, we may include it without telling you. However, if we increase our charges, we’ll give you at least 14 days' notice.
b. We may change or withdraw services at any time and we may change or introduce new terms to this agreement at any time. If we do, we’ll give you at least 30 days’ notice of these changes. If these changes are to your significant disadvantage, you may have a right to end this agreement under clause 11b and we’ll tell you if you do.
c. We may need to change your phone number or other number. We will let you know if this is the case.
8. Call limit, deposit and part payments
a. We may set a monthly call limit on your account. We may increase or remove this after carrying out a credit check. You may be able to go over your call limit, but if this happens, you must pay all charges.
b. We may ask you for a deposit:
- when we connect your SIM card;
- to increase or remove your call limit;
- if you increase how much you use the services; or
- to unblock your SIM card from contacting international numbers, using overseas networks or making premium-rate calls.
You can ask for a refund of your deposit at any time, but we may reduce your call limit if you do. We can use the deposit to pay off any charges you owe us. When this agreement comes to an end, we’ll repay any deposit you’ve given us less any money you owe us. We will not pay any interest on any deposit we take from you.
c. If there’s a significant increase in your usage between bills, we may contact you and possibly ask for a part payment so you can continue to use our services.
9. Suspending our services
a. We can suspend or restrict your use of any of our services (other than emergency services) if:
- we believe your mobile equipment or the services are being used in a way we do not allow under this agreement;
- you have not kept to this agreement (for example, you fail to pay any charges when due);
- we have asked you for a deposit or part payment which you’ve not paid;
- you go over your call limit;
- we believe that you have entered into this agreement fraudulently;
- we believe you got the use of any number, mobile equipment or services in an unauthorised, illegal, or fraudulent way;
- you tell us that your mobile equipment has been lost or stolen;
- you become bankrupt or make any arrangement with creditors or go into liquidation or an administration order is made or a receiver is appointed over any of your assets;
- you do anything (or allow anything to be done) which we think may damage or affect the operation of our network or services; or
- the emergency services tell us to, or a law or regulation is passed which means we need to do so.
b. We will try to tell you when we suspend or restrict your use, but we do not have to.
c. When we suspend or restrict your use, this agreement will continue and you still have to pay all charges due during any period when we suspend or restrict the service.
10. Credits if there is a failure of the service
a. If we have to maintain our network or if there is a technical fault on our network that means you can’t use all our services for three days in a row, we’ll credit you for the line-rental charge for the period the service was not available.
11. Ending this agreement
a. Either you or we may end this agreement by giving the other 30 days’ notice in writing. Your notice must include your mobile number and your signature or appropriate security details. You must pay the charges during the notice period.
b. You may end this agreement by writing to us if:
- we don’t do something fundamental that we should have done under this agreement (for example, if there is a complete failure of the network for seven days in a row due to something we have done), within seven days of you asking us in writing;
- we tell you that there will be an increase in the line-rental charge (unless we increase line rental because of a rise in VAT) by more than the increase in the retail price index (worked out as a percentage) since the last line-rental increase and you write to us before the increase applies;
- we increase your charges in the UK which has the effect of increasing your total charges (based on your usage in any of the previous three months) by more than 10% and you write to us before the increase applies; or
- we change this agreement to your significant disadvantage including changing or withdrawing services (we will tell you if this is the case) and you write to us within one month of us telling you about the change. This does not apply if the change or withdrawal relates to services which you can cancel without us ending this agreement.
c. We may end this agreement at any time by writing to you if:
- you do anything (or allow anything to be done) which we think may damage or affect the operation of our network;
- within seven days of us asking you in writing, you do not do something fundamental that you have to do under this agreement (for example, pay the charges when they are due); or
- we are permanently unable to provide the services to you.
d. When this agreement comes to an end:
- we will disconnect your mobile equipment from our network (you may keep the mobile equipment, but may have to make a payment as described below);
- you will have to pay immediately all charges you owe on the date we disconnect your mobile equipment from the network (including any charges for extra subscription services such as content services); and
- you must still pay all the line-rental charges until the end of the minimum period. This applies when this ends in clause 11, except if:
- we ended this agreement under clause 11a; or
- you ended this agreement under clause 11b; or
- we ended this agreement because we were permanently unable to provide the services to you.
In these three situations you do not have to pay all line-rental charges until the end of the minimum period. However, you may have to make a payment for your mobile equipment. We will let you know in your order form or welcome letter or welcome email if you have to make this kind of payment for your mobile equipment and will tell you the original value on which that payment is based. The payment will be 1/24 of the original value of the mobile equipment, less any initial payment you make towards it, multiplied by the number of months left until the end of your minimum period. You will make this payment to us as soon as we ask after the agreement comes to an end.
- loss of income or profits;
- loss of use of the services;
- lost business or missed opportunities; or
- any loss or damage that is not directly caused by us or which we could not reasonably expect at the time we entered into this agreement with you.
- manage your account, carry out customer-care activities and train our staff, including monitoring calls, emails or text messages that you send us;
- monitor the quality and security of the network and test and maintain our IT systems;
- analyse your use of the services for marketing purposes, including, but not limited to, the calls and messages you send and receive and your location at the time these communications take place, as well as your browsing history and use of our websites;
- send to the emergency services (if you make an emergency call), including your approximate location;
- contact you with marketing messages if you have not objected. These messages may include marketing from other organisations, but we will not pass responsibility of your information to these other organisations. If you do not want to receive marketing messages from us, please contact us through our website or by calling 191.
- checking details on applications for credit and credit-related or other facilities;
- managing credit and credit-related accounts or facilities;
- recovering debt;
- checking details on proposals and claims for all types of insurance; or
- checking details of job applicants and employees.
- you live in Scotland, in which case, it will be governed by Scots law; or
- you live in Northern Ireland, in which case it will be governed by the law of Northern Ireland.
e. If this agreement ends before the end of the minimum period, and you pay us the line-rental charges for the rest of the minimum period in one lump sum, we will reduce the line-rental payment by a rate we set. You can ask us how much this rate will be.
12. Liability and exclusions
a. We are legally responsible to you if our negligence causes death or personal injury.
We will not be legally responsible to you for:
We will not be legally responsible to you if we cannot provide the services because of something outside of our reasonable control.
b. Except for fraud or where our negligence causes death or personal injury, we will not pay more than £3000 or 150% of the charges in the previous 12 months, whichever is higher, for each claim or a series of related claims.
c. If you are a consumer, the terms of this agreement will not affect any rights which you may have under any law and which we cannot exclude under any agreement.
13. Personal information
a. We and our group companies may use your information to:
b. We do not include your details in any directory or directory-enquiry service. If you want to have your information included in these services, you should contact us.
14. Credit-reference and fraud-prevention agencies
a. You can ask us for information about how we use your details for credit checking and fraud prevention when you take out this agreement. We will also release, to credit-reference agencies, debt-collection agencies and fraud-prevention agencies, details of your agreement with us including any change of address, payments you make, account balances, missed payments, disputes and queries. We, and other organisations, may use this information to help make decisions about other credit applications made by you or other members of your household you are linked to financially and to protect both our business and our customers from fraudulent activity. We may also use any information we hold to trace debts and assess claims. If you don’t pay us in full, and on time, we may tell credit-reference agencies who will record the debt.
b. If false or inaccurate information is provided and fraud is identified, details will be passed to fraud-prevention agencies.
Law-enforcement agencies may access and use this information. We and other organisations may also access and use this information to prevent fraud and money laundering, for example, when:
Please contact us at the address below if you want to receive details of the relevant fraud prevention agencies. We and other organisations may access and use, from other countries, the information recorded by fraud-prevention agencies.
a. We may transfer this agreement to anyone at any time. However, you can’t transfer this agreement to anyone unless we’ve agreed in writing beforehand. We will not unreasonably refuse this request.
b. If you or we fail to enforce our rights under this agreement, it will not prevent you or us from taking further action.
c. When you use your mobile equipment, your number may be shown to the equipment being contacted. Your number will always be shown if you contact 999 or 112.
d. We’ll send you notices by post, voicemail, text or other form of electronic message and will assume that you have received them 48 hours after we have sent them. We’ll send all bills and notices served by post, to the address you have given. You must tell us about any changes to your address. If you want to write or email us, please use the address shown on your bill. You can then assume we have received these notices 48 hours after you have sent them.
e. If you have a complaint, please contact us . We will do our best to sort out your issues. If we cannot sort out the issue, you may ask that the matter is referred to an independent ombudsman under our Customer Complaints Code which is available on our website or by contacting us. You or we may bring legal proceedings in a court in the UK to sort out a dispute under this agreement.
f. This agreement is under English law, unless:
Contact us by - Phone: 0333 3040 191 - Fax: 0870 1616 500.
Registered in England number 1471587 at Vodafone House, The Connection, Newbury, Berkshire RG14 2FN.
Updated September 2011