If you’re not sure how fast your mobile internet speeds are, or what speeds you need to get online, we’ve got the answers.
Mobile data speeds can seem like a confusing jumble of numbers and letters. If you’re not sure how to measure your mobile internet speeds, and whether the speeds you’re getting are fast enough for you and your needs, then here’s what you need to know.
How do I measure my mobile internet speeds?
To measure the speed of your smartphone’s internet connection, head to the internet speed test page on the Vodafone UK website.
Download and upload speeds (for receiving and sending data respectively) are measured in megabits per second (Mbps).
The higher the Mbps figures, the faster your speeds. The faster your speeds, the more seamless your online experiences will be.
How fast is fast enough for what I want to do?
Many common online activities can be accomplished on relatively low speeds. Others will need higher speeds.
2Mbps is fast enough for
- Streaming or downloading music;
- sending and receiving text in messages and emails;
- web browsing.
10Mbps is fast enough for
All of the above, as well as:
- Video chats;
- sending and receiving photos and videos;
- streaming or downloading video in HD quality;
- playing most single-player online games.
50Mbps is fast enough for
All of the above, as well as
- Streaming or downloading video in 4K quality;
- livestreaming video of yourself or your surroundings;
- playing most multiplayer online games;
- playing games using cloud gaming services;
- uploading multiple files to cloud storage services.