Find out what makes a great social media handle, as well as things to consider when choosing yours.
In a digital era where everyone is connected, your username is your virtual identity. So, what makes a great one? Here we uncover the rules, best practices, and do's and don'ts of creating an unforgettable handle.
What is a social media username?
A username, also known as a social media handle, is the identifier you choose to represent yourself on social media platforms like Instagram, Twitter, and TikTok. It’s the name that shows in your profile URL, tags, and mentions. Think of it as your digital identity.
What makes a good username?
1. Memorable: The best usernames are the ones that stick in people’s minds. Try to make it catchy, relevant, and easy to remember. Don’t use complicated jargon that might confuse your audience. Keep it simple, but don’t be afraid to inject a little creativity.
2. Reflects your brand: Your handle should be an extension of your brand. Consider incorporating your company name or an appropriate keyword.
3. Consistent across platforms: Consistency is key when it comes to building your online presence. Try to use the same handle across different social media platforms. This makes it easier for your followers to find and connect with you, regardless of the platform they’re using.
4. Short and simple: Keep your username concise and easy to type. Long, complex handles are more likely to be forgotten or mistyped.
5. Avoid numbers and special characters: Unless it makes sense to your business, numbers and special characters can make your username harder to remember and search for. Keep to letters, and if necessary, an underscore (_) or hyphen (-).
Things to consider when choosing a username:
1. Searchability: Choose a handle that aligns with your business goals and target audience. Do some research to make sure your chosen username is unique and not already being used by someone else. Also think about the keywords you could use that could benefit your SEO.
2. Avoid offensive or controversial words: While it’s essential to showcase your brand personality, it’s equally important to be mindful of your audience. Don’t choose names that might offend or alienate people. Inclusivity goes a long way.
3. Future-proofing: Think long-term when deciding on a handle. You might be focused on a specific niche right now, but consider if it will still be relevant in the future.
Your username represents not only who you are as a brand, but also the audience you want to connect with. Keep it memorable, authentic, and aligned with your business goals. Embrace the power of social media, and let your handle become a beacon that invites others to join your digital community.
For more support discover our free business support helpline and speak to one of our Business Advisers by phone, contact form or web chat.
Wondering what you can ask? Our team can help with a range of digital topics