Roaming charges: Using your mobile abroad
How much does it cost to use my device abroad?
Getting to grips with roaming charges can be a pain. But don’t worry – you can find out exactly how much things cost with our handy search tool.
Where are you travelling to?
Choose the country you’re visiting, and find out what it costs to roam there.
Planning your trip and roaming
Lots of people are scared of getting caught out with roaming – after all, nobody wants to get stuck with a bill they didn’t plan for. But with a couple of simple steps you can easily get more out of your plan while you're away.
Before you leave
- Check that your phone isn’t barred for use abroad using the My Vodafone app or My Vodafone online
- Check which zones are covered by your plan on our Vodafone Global Roaming page
- On Pay as you go? Make sure you've got enough credit before you go abroad. You can top up online or by registering with My Vodafone. Alternatively, register a debit or credit card to make it easier to top up while you're abroad – simply call 191
- Enable data roaming on your phone – or don't, if that's your plan
- Set up PINs for your phone and SIM. If they're stolen, this will restrict access to your device. To use voicemail when roaming, you'll also need to set up a security PIN before leaving the UK
- Make a note of our 24-hour Lost and Stolen helpline (+44 7836 191 191) – free from any Vodafone phone even while you're abroad (international call charges apply from any other mobile or landline)
When you arrive
- In most countries, you'll get a welcome text from us as soon as you arrive and switch on your phone. We'll tell you exactly how much it'll cost you to use your phone there.
- Your phone will automatically connect to one of the local networks. If this doesn't happen, you can manually search for a network in the Settings menu on your phone:
Settings > Phone settings > Pick a network
- Remember, you can call between Roam-free destinations and make calls to the UK and to the destination you’re in, at no extra charge. If you have Global Roaming Plus included in your plan you can also use your included international minutes abroad.
Travel advice from GOV.UK
For the latest travel advice by country, including information on safety and security, entry requirements, travel warnings and health, please visit the Foreign Office travel advisory pages
Find out how to do the things you need to do while you're abroad
Calling and texting
Replace the first 0 with + and then the code of the country you’re calling. If you’re calling the UK, it’s +44 then the number. For example, 07774 477 000 would be +44 7774 477 000
Listening to your voicemail
Call 121 or +44 7836 121 121 from your Vodafone mobile (standard call charges apply)
Topping up on Pay as you go
Call 2345 free from your Vodafone mobile or +44 7836 192 350 from any other phone (standard call charges apply). You’ll need a credit or debit card to top up – so remember to make sure you have one handy
Call the Emergency Services
Call 112 (free)
Check if you're using data
Read our handy FAQ on checking if you are using 4G data abroad