Travelling and using your phone abroad
Costs while you’re abroad
Planning a trip abroad? We offer 4G roaming in over 60 countries – more than any other UK network.
Just enter the country you’re travelling to in the search box to see if you can enjoy 4G during your visit, and to find out what you’ll pay while you’re away.
What type of agreement do you have?
Which device will you be using?
Before you travel and when you arrive
Before you go abroad, and once you arrive, there are some important things you’ll need to know.
Watch our video to find out everything you need to know to protect your phone when you're travelling abroad. Before you leave, we recommend that you:
- Contact customer services to make sure your phone isn’t barred for use abroad
- Enable data roaming on your phone
- Set up PINs for your voicemail and phone
- Set a SIM PIN, which will stop your SIM being used in a different phone
- Make a note of our lost and stolen 24-hour helpline number - +44 7836 191 191 (international call charges apply). If your phone is lost or stolen, you’ll need to call this number straight away to report it
In most countries, you'll get a welcome text from us as soon as you arrive and switch on your phone.
It'll tell you how much it costs to use your phone abroad, as well as other useful information. This may vary depending on your phone model.
Your phone should automatically connect to one of the local networks. If this doesn't happen, you can manually search for a network:
- Go to the Settings menu on your phone
- Choose Phone settings
- Pick a network
If your device has been lost or stolen while you’re abroad, you should call us immediately:
- Pay monthly and business customers – 191 free from a Vodafone mobile or +44 7836 191 191 from any other phone (international call charges apply)
- Pay as you go customers – 191 from a Vodafone mobile (calls cost 25p) or +44 7836 191 919 from any other phone (international call charges apply)
If your device is lost or stolen, it’s very important that you report it as soon as you know it’s gone. The longer it takes to report it will affect how much it could cost you.
If it’s been stolen, you’ll also need to report it to the police and get a crime number.
If you’re a Pay monthly customer, from 7 September 2015:
- If you let us know within 24 hours of your device being lost or stolen, we’ll cover the cost of any additional unauthorised usage over £100 - you’ll only be responsible for paying up to £100 for any unauthorised usage that’s not part of your allowance
- If you let us know within 5 days of your device being lost or stolen, we’ll cover the cost of any additional unauthorised usage over £500 - you’ll only be responsible for paying up to £500 for any unauthorised usage that’s not part of your allowance.
- If you don’t let us know within 5 days of your device being lost or stolen, you’ll be liable to pay all charges incurred
Your monthly line rental will continue even if you reported your device as lost or stolen.
If you’re a Pay as you go customer, then until we block your SIM someone else may be able to use your remaining credit. You won’t be liable for any charges caused by additional unauthorised use.
If you’re a business customer, you’ll be responsible for paying for any unauthorised usage until you let us know your phone’s been lost or stolen.
To find out about our insurance cover or to make a claim, see our Vodafone Insurance for personal phones and tablets or Business Insurance pages.
How to make calls and send texts while you’re abroad
|Calling and texting|
|Replace the first 0 with + and then the code of the country you’re calling. If you’re calling the UK, it’s +44 then the number. For example, 07774 477 000 would be +44 7774 477 000.|
|Listening to voicemail|
|Call 121 or +44 7836 121 121 from your Vodafone mobile (standard call charges apply)|
|Pay as you go TopUp|
|Call 2345 free from your Vodafone mobile or +44 7836 192 350 from any other phone (standard call charges apply)|
|Emergency Services call 112 (free)|
Top up using a credit or debit card
You can register your credit or debit card details with us to make it easier to top up while you’re abroad. Here's how:
- Top up with your credit or debit card, then choose the option to save the card so you can use it next time
- Dial 191 for Vodafone customer services and pay a one-off cost of 25p to speak to an adviser
- You can also register your payment details in My Vodafone
All you’ll then need to do to top up while you're away is call 2345 free from your Vodafone phone and choose option 1 to top up, followed by option 1 to top up using a credit or debit card – and then follow the instructions. Remember to make sure you have your card handy.
Top up online
Other ways to top up
If you don’t want to register a credit or debit card, you could always top up your credit in the UK before you go, or ask a family member or friend to do it for you while you're away.