Roaming charges – travelling and using your phone abroad
Stay in touch and save money
There are lots of options to stay in touch and keep your roaming costs down while you’re abroad. You could avoid spending anything if you choose a bundle with inclusive roaming. If you’re travelling to Europe, or further afield, you can save with Vodafone EuroTraveller, EuroTraveller on Pay as you go or Vodafone WorldTraveller. And if you just want to use data on your phone abroad, Vodafone Data Traveller gives you 25MB a day for just £5.
How much does it cost?
Where are you travelling to?
Before you travel and when you arrive
Before you go abroad, and once you arrive, there are some important things you’ll need to know.
Before you leave home, we recommend that you:
- Contact customer services to make sure your phone isn’t barred for use abroad
- Check if you have the latest Red or Red Value Bundles with inclusive roaming
- Enable data roaming on your phone
- Set up PINs for your phone and SIM. If they’re stolen, this will restrict access to your device
Make a note of our Lost and Stolen 24-hour helpline +44 7836 191 191 – free from any Vodafone phone even when you’re abroad (international call charges apply from any other mobile or landline). And if your device is lost or stolen, you can then let us know immediately.
In most countries, you'll get a welcome text from us as soon as you arrive and switch on your phone.
It'll tell you how much it costs to use your phone abroad, as well as other useful information. This may vary depending on your phone model.
Your phone should automatically connect to one of the local networks. If this doesn't happen, you can manually search for a network:
- Go to the Settings menu on your phone
- Choose Phone settings
- Pick a network
How to make calls and send texts while you’re abroad
|Calling and texting|
|Replace the first 0 with + and then the code of the country you’re calling. If you’re calling the UK, it’s +44 then the number. For example, 07774 477 000 would be +44 7774 477 000.|
|Listening to voicemail|
|Call 121 or +44 7836 121 121 from your Vodafone mobile (standard call charges apply)|
|Pay as you go TopUp|
|Call 2345 free from your Vodafone mobile or +44 7836 192 350 from any other phone (standard call charges apply)|
|Emergency Services call 112 (free)|
If your device has been lost or stolen while you’re abroad, you should call us immediately on 191 or +44 7836 191 191 free from any Vodafone phone (international call charges apply from any other mobile or landline).
It's very important that you report your device as lost or stolen as soon as you know it's gone. The longer it takes to report it will affect how much it could cost you.
If it’s been stolen, you’ll also need to report it to the police and get a crime number.
If you’re a Pay monthly customer, from 7 September 2015:
- If you let us know within 24 hours of your device being lost or stolen, we’ll cover the cost of any additional unauthorised usage over £100 - you’ll only be responsible for paying up to £100 for any unauthorised usage that’s not part of your allowance
- If you let us know within 5 days of your device being lost or stolen, we’ll cover the cost of any additional unauthorised usage over £500 - you’ll only be responsible for paying up to £500 for any unauthorised usage that’s not part of your allowance.
- If you don’t let us know within 5 days of your device being lost or stolen, you’ll be liable to pay all charges incurred
Your monthly line rental will continue even if you reported your device as lost or stolen.
If you're a Pay as you go customer, someone else may be able to use your remaining credit until we block your SIM. You won't be liable for any charges caused by additional unauthorised use.
If you’re a business customer, you’ll be responsible for paying for any unauthorised usage until you let us know your phone’s been lost or stolen.
Top up using a credit or debit card
You can register your credit or debit card details with us to make it easier to top up while you’re abroad. Here's how:
- Top up with your credit or debit card, then choose the option to save the card so you can use it next time
- Dial 191 for Vodafone customer services
- You can also register your payment details in My Vodafone
All you’ll then need to do to top up while you're away is call 2345 free from your Vodafone phone and choose option 1 to top up, followed by option 1 to top up using a credit or debit card – and then follow the instructions. Remember to make sure you have your card handy.
Top up online
Other ways to top up
If you don’t want to register a credit or debit card, you could always top up your credit in the UK before you go, or ask a family member or friend to do it for you while you're away.
Find out more about our inclusive roaming claim
Find out about changes to Vodafone World Rates and our Rest of World Zone destinations from 16 October 2016: for