What information we collect
Information about your interactions with us:
When you use the basic features of My Vodafone, for example checking your billing details, viewing your data plans, viewing information about how much data a particular app is consuming, or interacting with our customer care, information about such interactions is recorded on our servers.
Information about the quality and use of your connectivity services and apps:
Unless you have disabled the collection through the app settings, My Vodafone will regularly send us information about the coverage, connectivity and data usage relating to your connectivity services, information about the applications on your device, your location as well as information about your device, as explained in more detail below.
Coverage, connectivity and data usage
Information about network connectivity and quality for phone calls, internet and data services as experienced by you, as well as statistics about how much your device uses internet services and consumes data, such as:
- The percentage of time your phone is on the network
- Signal strength
- Areas of limited or no service
- Quality of the mobile coverage (2G, 3G, 4G)
- Call duration
- How the call ends
- Regular tests of whether your device can connect to the internet
- Your upload and download speed
- How long it takes to set up a connection to the internet
- Wi-Fi connection quality and MAC addresses of the Wi-Fi hot spots your device can see, and how congested they are
- Hourly data use
- How much data your phone uses when it's in standby mode
- How much data goes over Wi-Fi connections vs. the mobile network
Statistics about applications on your devices, such as:
- Which apps are installed on your device
- Which apps are started each day and for how long each app is used
- How much data is consumed by each app, how fast each app receives and transmits data and the type and quality of network used for the connection (for example cellular or Wi-Fi and related signal strength)
Technical information about your device, such as:
- Phone brand and model
- Operating system
- Firmware version
- Hardware capabilities
- Language and locale
- Battery state
- Memory consumption
- Time since last reboot
Unless you have disabled the collection through the app settings, we collect your location data when we measure the items above. For example, we know your rough location from the phone mast and Wi-Fi hot spot your phone is using. When your phone or one of your apps is using GPS location data, we use that to assess location more precisely and sometimes your speed and direction of travel if available with GPS information.
Unless you have chosen otherwise, this information is collected with a personal identifier.
Usage of My Vodafone app
Information about the performance and use of the My Vodafone app, for example when and how many times the app has been used, your choices and journeys within the app, app version, last update, application ID and device make and model.
What information we don’t collect
We understand that some of the information we collect may be seen as sensitive. Therefore, we have designed the app to reduce the sensitivity of the collected information. For example, we don’t collect information about:
- Numbers you dial or receive calls from
- Sender or receiver information from text messages, emails or internet chat messaging on your device
- Any content of your communications, such as text, email or chat content or your browsing history
- Information about which features of the apps you use or what content you send, receive or otherwise consume through an app
How we use this information
In addition to using the data to the extent necessary to provide you with the services you've requested - for example to show you how much data an app consumes - we also use the data to help us improve our networks and services as well as to make personalised recommendations to you.
Helping us improve our networks and services
We analyse the collected information to diagnose connectivity, coverage or connection quality problems, understand connectivity needs from the usage of mobile data, Wi-Fi and apps, and use such insights to make improvements to our network and services. This may include, for example:
- Improving the quality of the network, for example through better understanding about the exact areas with low network performance or areas of high consumption of data - this helps us prioritise new site implementation and otherwise improve network performance
- Helping us deal with performance issues caused by poorly performing devices
- Improving our commercial models and offers based on improved understanding of the patterns related to the use of apps and connection quality
- Improving the performance and design of My Vodafone by understanding which features of the app are popular and how those features perform on different types of devices
Providing you with personalised assistance and recommendations
We may use the collected information to help us provide more personalised marketing communications to you. We may, for example:
- Recommend a new or a different bundle for you based on the way you use your connectivity services
- Help you manage your data plans by showing you which apps consume more data
- Recommend upgrades to your device or promote accessories
We may combine the collected information with other information we may hold about you.
If you have chosen to provide us with information without being personally identified, all personal identifiers are removed in the app before sending such information to Vodafone - we then process the collected information anonymously. We do not intend to use the information to identify you or any other person personally and we have in place appropriate technical and organisational measures to prevent that from happening.
What choices do you have?
Vodafone offers you choices and control over what information you are willing to share from your device. You may choose to:
- Disable the sending of personal information about the quality and use of your connectivity services, location and apps
- Disable the sending of any information about the quality and use of your connectivity services, location and apps
- Disable the sending of information about your use of My Vodafone
- Disable push-notifications. Note: if you disable push-notifications, we may still send you marketing texts or emails, or conduct telemarketing if we have your permission to do so. You can get in touch with Customer Services through the contact us page on our site to opt out of all marketing communications or to opt out of marketing in one of several ways (such as email, text, phone or post)
Remember that turning off these preferences will impact the level of personalisation we will be able to offer you.
How do you protect my data?
Vodafone takes technical and organisational security measures as required by law and by industry standards to protect your personal data from unauthorised access, use or disclosure. We take steps to ensure that we only use your personal information as described in this privacy notice and to honour the choices that you have made. We only partner with service providers who contract to provide the same level of information security that you can expect from Vodafone.
For how long do you keep my data?
Detailed information about the quality and use of your connectivity services, location and apps is kept no longer than 14 months after it has been collected.
Vodafone may retain aggregated and statistical reports that have been generated using the listed information for a longer period, but as these reports do not identify you as a user, they will not be used in a way that impacts your privacy.
The service is offered by Vodafone Limited, which is also the controller of your personal data. If you have any queries in any aspect of this privacy supplement, please use our privacy query form and a member of our dedicated team will respond to you.