If you’re deaf, have restricted hearing or a speech impairment
Services and features
We’ve all kinds of phone services, apps and built-in features for customers who are deaf or have a hearing or speech impairment.
SignVideo for BSL
SignVideo gives users of British Sign Language (BSL) free access to an online interpreter. You can download the SignVideo BSL Live plug-in via our Connect Now page.
To find out what you need to get set up, go to the SignVideo website
How do I use SignVideo?
- Log in to SignVideo
- Tell the SignVideo interpreter that you’re calling the Vodafone Customer Contact Centre
- The SignVideo interpreter may ask you if you want to get anything ready before starting the call
- The SignVideo interpreter will connect you to one of our BSL advisers
SignVideo is available 8am to 6pm, Monday to Friday (except bank holidays), and you’ll need a webcam on your device. For technical help, email email@example.com or call 0203 388 0771 (standard call charges apply).
Next Generation Text Service
Next Generation Text Service (NGTS) translates text to voice, and voice to text – ideal if you have difficulty hearing or speaking on the phone.
If you can't hear on the phone, our relay assistant will type what the other person is saying so that you can read their words. If you can't speak on the phone, simply type what you want to say and our relay assistant will read out your words.
How does NGTS work?
NGTS works in four ways:
- Type & Hear - A person can enter text which will be relayed to the person on the other end of the phone as speech.
- Speak & Read - A person can speak down the phone and this will be converted to text for the recipient to read.
- Type & Read - A person can enter text and this will be received as text in real-time.
- Speak & Hear - A person with difficulty speaking can have what they are saying relayed by a third party.
How do I use NGTS?
Download the NGTS app for free from the NGTS website
- With a textphone
- With the NGT Lite app – available for smartphones, tablets and computers. See the NGTS website to find out which devices are compatible.
To make a call, enter one of these prefixes in front of the number you wish to reach:
- 18001 – To use Type & Hear, Speak & Read, or Type & Read.
- 18002 – To use Speak & Hear.
You can also dial 18000 free instead of 999 to call emergency services.
NGTS is free for Pay As You Go and Pay monthly customers calling standard UK mobiles, or landlines beginning 01, 02 or 03. Standard charges apply for all other calls.
Text Relay and landline customers
Calls from a landline are not free if you use Text Relay, but you will get 60% off calls to UK landlines beginning 01, 02 or 03, and 20% off calls to UK mobiles.
EmergencySMS is a UK-wide service that lets deaf, hard of hearing, and speech-impaired people send a text message to 999 emergency services – police, ambulance, fire service or coastguard. Use EmergencySMS to text for help and to receive replies from the emergency services.
To use EmergencySMS, first register your mobile phone on the EmergencySMS website
Specialist phones and devices
These easy-to-use phones and devices are ideal for people with restricted hearing, vision or dexterity.
Hearing aid compatible
For advice on our products and services, call our dedicated accessibility team on 0333 304 3222 free from your Vodafone mobile (standard call charges apply from other mobiles or landlines)
If you’re deaf, have restricted hearing or a speech impairment, try:
Hearing Check – an app from Action on Hearing Loss (formerly RNID). Hearing Check is available on iPhone with iOS 7 or higher, and offers a free hearing test. No iPhone? No problem, take the test online instead.
Skype – an app for video-chat that works on phones, tablets, laptops and desktop PCs. If you prefer to use sign language, Skype is ideal. We recommend that you use Wi-Fi for your video chats, wherever possible.