Energy use (gWh)
Total CO2 emissions from mixed sources (000 tonnes)
- 2013/2014 data incorporated the former Cable&Wireless Worldwide business for the first time
- 2014/15 data did not include third party electricity data (e.g. landlord supply)
- 2015/16 data included emissions from transmission & distribution, well-to-tank
We commissioned Verco, external specialists in greenhouse gas reporting, to calculate our 2015/16 carbon footprint. This figure includes both our mobile network (radio base stations, stores and sites associated with our mobile phone network) and fixed line network (data centres, telephone exchanges, cable landing stations, earth stations) and offices. Our carbon footprint was calculated using the latest edition of the Greenhouse Gas Protocol, published by the World Business Council for Sustainable Development and the World Resources Institute.
Our carbon footprint calculation includes:
- Scope 1 emissions - direct greenhouse gas emissions from company-owned vehicles and facilities
- Scope 2 emissions - net indirect emissions from energy imports
- Scope 3 emissions – indirect greenhouse gas emissions, such as employee business travel by public transport, product transport by third parties, outsourcing of core activities, and off-site waste disposal/management activities, emissions from transmission and distribution and well-to-tank.