What is happening?
Ofcom has changed the way calls to 0800, 0808, 084,087, 09, 116 and 118 numbers are billed. The changes apply to customers with mobile price plans only, and are aimed at making it easier for everyone to understand how much calls to these numbers cost.
Calls to 0800, 0808 and 116 numbers will be free from your mobile, just as they are from landlines.
Changes to numbers starting with 084, 087, 09 and 118As well as the Freephone changes, there are some changes to the way Vodafone charge for 084, 087, 09 and 118 numbers:
- 08 numbers are typically used for banks, utility companies, customer helplines and government departments
- 09 numbers are typically used for premium rate services
- 118 numbers are used for Directory Enquiries services
Charges for these service numbers will be split into two parts:
- the Access Charge – this is how much Vodafone will charge you per minute for making the call
- the Service Charge – this is the charge that is set by the company who is providing the service
The sum of the Access Charge and Service Charge is your total cost of the call. See call charges for our current prices.Make savings if you call 084 or 087 numbers regularly
Get 300 minutes to call any number starting with 084 and 087 in the UK, for just £2.50 a month.
To get this monthly add on, simply text NONGEO to 97886
Is there any more information available on the changes?
Ofcom have created a webpage to support the changes in the industry. Please visit ukcalling.info to find out more