Crack the code
  1. Home
  2. Help and information
  3. Unlocking your phone

Unlocking your phone

Need to unlock a phone or SIM to use on our network?

We offer a number of safe and secure ways for you to unlock your phone or SIM, from unlocking the network to overriding a forgotten PIN.

To unlock your device, you’ll need to get the relevant code. Whether you have your code already and just need to know the next steps, or you need us to help you find it – the options on this page will have your phone or SIM unlocked in no time.

What do you want to do?

If you’re not sure which unlock code is the right one for you, choose the scenario that best matches your problem, and we’ll tell you what you’ll need.

And I want to transfer my number

We’re sad to hear that you’re leaving us. But if you’re set on a new provider, you’ll need a Porting Authorisation Code (PAC) to keep your mobile number when you move. Get a PAC and close your account

If you already have a PAC code, simply give it to your new provider and they’ll transfer your number.

And I want to unlock my phone

If you just need to unlock one of our devices to use on another network, you’ll need a Network Unlock Code (NUC). You can request a NUC or find out how to use your NUC here

To use a number from your previous network provider, you’ll need to ask them for a Porting Authorisation Code (PAC) 

If you’ve already got your PAC, fill in our Keep my number form and we’ll do the rest

If you’re selling your old Vodafone mobile, or giving it away and need to unlock it to use on another network, you’ll need a Network Unlock Code (NUC). You can request a NUC or find out how to use your NUC here  

If you’ve forgotten your PIN, or entered an incorrect PIN too many times, your SIM will be locked, and you won’t be able to get into your phone. 

To unlock it, you need a PIN unlock code (PUC). You can get this by calling us on 03333 040 191 (standard call charges apply). 

If your problem is to do with the passcode for your iPhone or iPad, see Apple’s support page 

If you want to be able to use your Vodafone device during your overseas posting, you need a Network Unlock Code (NUC). You can request a NUC or find out how to use your NUC here  

It’s also worth knowing that if you’re a serving member of the British Armed Forces being posted overseas, you can apply for a break in your Pay monthly contract for you and up to three family members, for up to two years. This means we won’t bill you during this time. 

To apply, fill in this form and either post or email it to the addresses shown, along with a copy of your military ID or proof of residence at a military address. 

If you’ve bought a device locked to Vodafone from a third party, you can either join us as a new customer, or get the device unlocked to use on another network. 

We can only unlock your device when we’re sure it belongs to you. The best way to confirm this is by getting a free Pay as you go SIM online or in a store and using it for 30 days – a necessary step to guard against fraud. You can then complete the form to request a Network Unlock Code (NUC). 

If you were given the device by a friend or family member, the best thing to do is get them to unlock it for you. It doesn’t matter if they’ve already upgraded or left Vodafone –  all they’ll need is a Network Unlock Code (NUC). 

Know which code you need?

If you know the kind of code you need, or if you're already sorted, here's where you can find out how to use it: 

Network Unlock Code (NUC)

I need a NUC to unlock my phone for use on another network

Porting Authorisation Code (PAC)

I need a PAC from Vodafone so I can keep my phone number when I move. 

Other Porting Authorisation Codes (PAC)

I need a PAC from my network to keep using my number at Vodafone. 

I’ve got a NUC code

Get started unlocking your Vodafone phone for another network. 

PIN Unlock Code (PUC)

I need a PUC to unlock my phone or SIM and get back on track. 

I’ve got a PAC code

Get started bringing your existing phone number to Vodafone.